Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Crap...am I really writing about Twitter?!

Here I sit.... I have NO idea what to write about. I think this is what I like about Twitter really. The thought comes to you, and you tweet it.

I also get to follow all of the random famous people that I usually enjoy from a distance. Not in like a creepy stalking kind of way (well, except for Alan Tudyk -- major heart on for that fella) but like we are good friends, sharing thoughts and photos.

Before I met Bry-man, I ignorantly hated Twitter. Mostly because a friend of mine couldn't peel his eyes off his phone when we arrived in Edinburgh, due to his desperate need to 'tweet' about what we were doing or seeing, or JUST did.

So I decided to shun Twitter, like I had IRC, and anything to do with Yahoo.

I shun these things usually out of a basic need to not further complicate my life. I have plenty of 'things' cluttering my mind, and requiring my attention why add another??

But my BF didn't use any other form of social media, so I decided to follow him on Twitter when we first got together, so I could see who I was getting involved with.

Well, that was successful, and so much so that I now follow our mutual favorites: The Bloggess, Nathan Fillion, Alan Tudyk, Patton Oswalt... and then I added my own tastes in : Krafty Kuts, Neil Patrick Harris, Kevin Smith, etc.... what a slippery slope. Thing is, I can't stand those crazy Re-tweeters and those people who tweet about what they are watching and tweet like 20 times in a row (really people, this is what a blog is for!). The WHOLE IDEA is to get your thought across in 140 characters max (why this number I'll never know). Succinct, specific, short. I like it. It's a great exercise in self-editing... "Is everything I'm trying to type REALLY necessary?"...usually no. Hell, sometimes you'll completely give up on the "tweet", because the moment's passed.

Thank you Twitter, for kicking Facebook's ass because you don't allow people to play stupid barn-yard animal games on you, thereby not creating reasons to bother your old schoolmate from 20 years ago to 'play with me'.

Incidentally, follow me on Twitter if you like! @JCurllz. ;)