Thursday, February 9, 2012

TV got funnier after all of the wine!

I came a-stumbling home Tuesday night and plunked myself down in front of the ole tube to wind down from a fantastic dining experience at Earls. (I'll tell you about it in a sec...first what I watched).  It was awkwardly charming, and the writing was fun. I didn't think I would enjoy it when I had come across it previously, but this weeks episode of "Raising Hope" entitled "Tarot-Reading" was witty and goofy. Enjoyable dialogue, and perfectly random. Great Tuesday TV. Heh, I was so buzzed when I started writing this, I thought it was Friday.... mmmmm Friday.

It was a refreshing change from the rather predictable writing of Hollywood, ahem,.... Alcatraz....
No. Raising Hope delivers curiously nutty lines such as: "Making a living selling ground up pig parts".... and "Oh you're going to Love Africa.... I've only seen it in cartoons, but it looks hilarious...."

Include an uncensored Cloris Leachman in this ensemble of quirky folk, delivering passionate acting, and you have a shit load (what the hell would that BE anyways???) of fun. Perhaps it was because I came at it with NO expectations that I was not disappointed. Perhaps it was the wine. (I'll tell you about the wine in just one sec.... "BUT JENN WE WANT TO HEAR ABOUT THE WINE!!!") I really enjoyed watching this, and just might tune in next Tuesday on City TV if I happen to be home. SO, **Thumbs up**. Thanks for entertaining me.

Now, on to Earls Restaurant, where I was a ViPPPPPPPer treated to some unbelievable hospitality.  We had the Sous Chef (Nick Hrynkiw) at our bidding, and we were introduced to our 3 course meal in detail by himself and the Day Leader (David Vo) before dining. Each course was paired with a delectable, and perfectly chosen bottle of wine, starting with a glass of Yellowglen Pink sparkling wine.

We were even offered the opportunity to participate and roll out and cut our own Gnocchi (the dough of which was made from scratch earlier that day), plus a tour of the prep kitchen.  Each of our hosts demonstrated such pride in their work, and every single bite of food was simply to die for.

"knee-yoke-eeeeee"
So, the Wine:
Charles Smith Wines, "Vino" Pinot Grigio (no other restaurant carries this subtle crisp white wine, but it is available in BCL stores)
-served with a Maple Glazed Salmon Salad



Joel Gott Zinfadel (quite a warming red, with heavy spicy notes)
-served with our Gnocchi with Italian Rose Sauce


Small bites leave big impressions!

and lastly Errazuriz Carmenere "Estate" (From Chile, and my favorite out of the bunch with a slightly lighter spicy flavor, and the presence of a dark cherry notes)

-served with the Porcini Crusted Filet with Truffle Chive Butter...... DROOOOOOOL

They are looking to show off what they can do, and there is something for everyone.

They do a good specialized menu. See what we ate in detail







These were our hosts:
@ 604-682-6700
 David Vo - Day Leader
Nick Hrynkiw - Sous Chef
Stefan Oostveen - Lounge Leader
Margaux Tomac - Marketing Leader